See the FULL Series for FREE – www.cleverhiker.com/projects
All great backpacking trips start with a great plan. In this episode, we’ll take a look at the most important parts of trip planning for your next backpacking adventure.
We’ll go into great detail on the following topics:
1) Research – Backpacking trip planning all starts with proper research. Find the best trips in your area, get the best info, and find the right maps.
2) Regulations – Securing permits for your trip and knowing the regulations of the area are absolutely critical steps.
3) Route Planning – Are you going for a loop hike, an out-and-back jaunt, or maybe setting up a base camp to explore from?
4) Hiking Mileage Targets – Setting appropriate mileage goals can make or break your trip plan. Messing this step up will quickly ruin your trip.
5) Hiking Light – Lightweight backpacking will allow you to enjoy the walking part, which is pretty key on all backpacking trips.
6) Campsite Planning – Plotting out a tentative campsite plan for your trip is a critical step. You might change up your plan along the way, but not having a plan could create a range of problems.
7) Water Plan – Knowing where reliable water sources will be along your route is one of the most important parts of backpacking trip planning.
8) Food Plan – Plan out your trip meals with lightweight food choices. Eat well and keep your weight down. Here’s our lightweight food guide – https://www.cleverhiker.com/lightweight-gear-basics/episode-7-lightweight-trail-food
9) Get The Gear – Always test backpacking gear before taking it out into the field. Here are our favorite lightweight backpacking tools – https://www.cleverhiker.com/gear/
10) Packing List – Always run through a lightweight backpacking list to make sure you don’t leave behind any important gear.
11) Current Conditions – Check the current conditions on the trail just before your backpacking trip so there aren’t any surprises, like fire bans, snow on the trail, or closed sections of trail.
12) Final preparations – Always make sure to leave a detailed itinerary with a friend and contact them as soon as you get back from your trip.
If you enjoy this video, subscribe for more and check out www.cleverhiker.com for a whole lot more free backpacking info and advise!